If you are forming an LLC in West Virginia, then this page’s content would be vital. As you learn how to start an LLC, you will realize that the bulk of your initial work and LLC cost comprises filing West Virginia articles of organization, which we will elaborate on this page.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is an Article of Organization?
- How to File West Virginia Articles of Organization
What is an Article of Organization?
An Article of Organization, also known as an LLC certificate or Certificate of Formation in some states, is a document filed with the secretary of state to form an LLC.
Each state has a different requirement to fill out a form. An Article of Organization usually includes the following:
- The name of the LLC,
- the effective date of the LLC,
- the company’s principal office,
- the business purpose,
- the duration of the business,
- a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate, and
- the name and address of the registered agent, organizers, and
- at least one member of the company.
Note that the certification of formation is a legal requirement, not to mention, the core of your LLC formation. It even makes up the bulk of your West Virginia LLC cost. Without it, you have no LLC. So, take the time to complete and file this certificate.
How to File West Virginia Articles of Organization
These are the simple steps to follow in filing an Article of Organization in West Virginia.
Step 1: Find Forms Online
Go to the West Virginia Secretary of State to download the articles of organization form for your LLC or to log into the online service.
Step 2: Fill Out Form
You must attach a copy of your Name Reservation to your filled-out Articles of Organization form when filing. You also need to nominate a registered agent. Here are 3 of the best LLC services on our list.
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$39 + State Fees
$100 + State Fees
$0 + State Fees
Step 3: File Formation Certificates
- Charleston Office One-Stop Business Center 1615 Washington St. E. Charleston, WV 25311.
- Clarksburg Office North Central WV Business Center 200 W. Main St. Clarksburg, WV 26301.
- Martinsburg Office Eastern Panhandle Business Center 229 E. Martin St. Martinsburg, WV 25401.
Steps to Register Article of Organization Online
Time needed: 5 minutes.
To establish your business LLC in the State of West Virginia, one must apply for Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State office. The cost of the application is $100. When you apply through online mode, you also get the benefit of immediate processing of your application. The formation guide in the following steps will assist you in filing the Articles of Organization application with the West Virginia Secretary of State office.
- Go to the Official Secretary of State website
Visit the official website of the Secretary of State of West Virginia. The Website hosts a WV One Stop Business Portal, which provides an easy and convenient platform for different business filings and related online services. On the page, the Login box appears. If you already have an account on the portal, you can proceed to log in by entering your user ID and password in the provided space. In case you do not have an account, read the next step ahead to know about it.
- Start to file your application
After confirmation of your WV Business portal account, log in to your account. On the user homepage, select the relevant option for business registration or filing of Articles of Organization for your West Virginia Domestic LLC. Read the instructions carefully and proceed to fill in the application form with all the mandatory information.
- Review your application
Once you have completed the application form, recheck all the details provided by you to be correct and accurate to your knowledge.
- Make the payment
As the final step, after you have confirmed all the information in your application, proceed to pay $100 as the filing fee of your application. You will receive a notification from the Secretary of State office acknowledging the receipt of your application.
West Virginia Articles of Organization Filing By Mail
If you wish to file your Application for Articles of Organization by offline method, you can do that easily by mail. Follow the instructions below to learn more about how to file an application via mail with the Secretary of State of West Virginia.
- Access the Application Form PDF from the official website of the Secretary of State. Download the application form PDF on your computer.
- Read all the instructions provided in the form carefully.
- Start to fill in the required details in the application form. You must also fill the Customer Order Request form attached with the original form. You can also attach the Name Reservation certificate as well.
- After completing the form, review all the details provided by you in the form. All the details should be correct and accurate to your knowledge.
- Issue a check or money order for $100 as the filing fee payable to the West Virginia Secretary of State. You can also authorize online payment by filing in the e-Payment form attached with the original application form.
- Arrange all the documents together and mail it to one of the following three addresses: Charleston Office One-Stop Business Center 1615 Washington Street East Charleston, WV 25311; Clarksburg Office North Central WV Business Center 200 West Main Street Clarksburg, WV 26301; Martinsburg Office Eastern Panhandle Business Center 229 E. Martin Street Martinsburg, WV 25401
Cost of Filing Articles of Organization in West Virginia
In general, the online method is the preferred mode of application due to easy filing and tracking options. Nevertheless, the State accepts applications through online as well as offline mode, without any difference in the filing fee. Here is the cost of filing formation articles in West Virginia,
- Online filing costs $100.00
- By mail filing costs $100.00
Where Can You Find Your West Virginia LLC Articles of Organization
There are many ways to get your LLC’s articles of organization, but you may have difficulty locating them. The best place to find your LLC’s articles of organization is online. These documents can be found in many places, including the state’s website. Purchasing a version will guarantee that your document is up to date and compliant with West Virginia law. It will also include instructions on how to fill out and file the form, and you will receive a copy of the document along with filing information.
Once you have a copy of your LLC’s articles of organization, you’ll need to register the name and choose a registered agent in the state. Your LLC must have a physical address in the state, and your registered agent must be located there. Then, you’ll need to submit your LLC’s articles to the secretary of state. The filing fee is $100. You can submit your LLC’s articles of organization online or through the mail.
The articles of organization are the most important documents in starting a business. You need to choose the name for your new LLC, as well as the type of membership. You can use L.L.C., Ltd., Co., or another similar spelling. You must also submit these documents in person, or by regular mail. It can take up to 10 days before your LLC’s articles of organization become active.
An Article of Organization is a legal document that will officially make your LLC into existence. This document is needed specifically for West Virginia in forming an LLC business structure.
The application form for the Articles of Organization needs to include the LLC name, date of establishment, the company’s registered office, business purpose, how long the business will exist, and a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate.
Filing by mail or in person is neither highly recommended nor required; waiting an extra week for your LLC to be approved isn’t that bad. The LLC approval you send in will be returned by mail. Online filing, meanwhile, is more convenient as you won’t have to stay in a queue.