While registering for a Limited Liability Company with the US government, it is mandatory for every business to work closely with a registered agent. This individual can either represent a government body or can be hired from the legal LLC corporations. Here you will get to know what is a registered agent? and how to choose a registered agent for your LLC.
This individual will become your first point of contact whenever you need help with the entire LLC registration and formation process. He will represent your LLC design in front of various government bodies and carry on with different legal and judicial procedures. Choosing an LLC registered agent is essential, especially when you are planning to file for the LLC Operating Agreement and the Articles of Formation with the Secretary of State.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What Is a Registered Agent?
- What Does the Job of a Registered Agent Entail?
- Why Should I Use an LLC Registered Agent?
- What is the Best Registered Agent Service?
- How to Choose a Registered Agent
What Is a Registered Agent?
To concise the definition, a registered agent is a third-party individual who will represent your business and will receive the government correspondences, compliance reports and documents, and the service of process agreement at the time of forming the LLC with a particular US state government.
What Is a Service of Process?
Service of Process can be considered as a notifying document where one party prepares a formal notice to inform another part or corporation about a pending lawsuit that has been filed recently.
What Does the Job of a Registered Agent Entail?
A registered agent’s job isn’t limited only to the receiving of certain documents and then handing them over to the LLC members for further actions. Rather, the primary job of the individual entails him to manage everything related to the business’s operations, be it informing the members about newly filed or pending lawsuits to preparing the annual reports, making reminders, and so on.
At the time of LLC formation and registration, an agent is required to handle all the legal works, starting from obtaining the Name Registration certificate to the submission of files for the Articles of Formation certificate. It is also the registered agent’s duty to obtain the EIN number on your behalf.
Once the LLC is formed, the agent will be entitled on receiving and processing several essential documents, like:
- Tax forms, files, and reports
- Any kind of legal documents, including license renewal statements, subpoenas, and so on
- Any kind of official government-issued correspondence
- Legal summons for pending lawsuits filed by another party
Why Should I Use an LLC Registered Agent?
It is mandatory for every LLC business to appoint a registered agent, be it a third-party individual or yourself, or a member of your company. Without the registered agent services, you wouldn’t be able to carry on with the legal procedures, filing of documents, and other such functions relatable with the LLC business registration and operation.
Can I Be My Own LLC Registered Agent?
If you are not willing to choose a registered state agent from another LLC agent corporation, you will have two options:
- Appointing yourself as the registered acting agent
- Nominating a member of the LLC to take on the role of the agent
No matter which steps you are choosing, there are certain prerequisites that you need to fulfill to step in the shoes of an LLC state registered agent.
- The nominated person must be 18 years or above.
- The person should have a legal, physical address in the state where the LLC will be operating.
- The person must be available during normal working hours in a physical state.
Note: Anyone who fulfills the above-mentioned requirements can be a registered agent for their LLC. However, a registered agent is responsible for handling all the legal documents including filing and LLC formation certificates. So, it is recommended to hire an experienced professional than handling it all by yourself. Northwest Registered Agent is one such LLC formation service that has expertise in Registered Agent service.
Advantages of Having a Registered Agent
Compliance with the law
One of the major purposes of assigning a professional registered agent to your LLC business entity is to have a hundred percent compliance with the changing state laws. The agent will notify you about the recent changes in the state laws, set reminders for the annual report filings, process the license renewal and member transference documents, deal with a registered office address change, and so on. This way, you can avoid any delay or misinterpretation of the legal terms and hence, avoid lawsuits, or worse, losing the entire LLC business.
With a registered agent for service doing all the tax-related and legal works, you will be able to focus on your part of the job, i.e., supervising the LLC operations, working on designing annual reports, notices, business expansion plans, and others. A professional LLC resident agent will help you:
- Maintain a balance between different parts of the LLC
- Offer solutions to any tax and law-related problems
- Preserve the legal notices and financial documents for future referrals
Since an LLC agent should always be present to receive the Service of Process service and the government correspondences, it can become a little bit difficult for you to manage your job as an LLC member and an agent at the same time. This is why hiring a third-party registered LLC agent will provide you more flexibility in the proper operations of the businesses.
- The third-party registered agent service will be able to present physically to receive the legal and government documents and keep track of reminders.
- The resident agent service will help you in conducting with more people as customers of your business in the physical location.
- You can even establish a foreign business entity in more than one state with the help of a registered agent.
Disadvantages of a Registered Agent
- You need to be available in person during normal business hours in anticipation of receiving a legal document.
- You will have to have an existing physical address in the state of the business.
- For changing the LLC location, you need to first obtain permission from the government.
What is the Best Registered Agent Service?
Rather than being your own registered agent, it is better to hire a third-party LLC agent service. They are professionals and take no time to handle all your paperwork and business laws associated with your business and LLC. We have picked the top three most popular and best LLC services for you.
How to Choose a Registered Agent
The hiring process of the registered agent will depend on the state where you want to establish the LLC. For example, in California, you can choose the agent after submitting the application for the Articles of Organizations to the California State of Secretary. But in Connecticut, the choice of the registered agent should be made prior to the submission of the Articles of Organization. There are some of the points you need to check while choosing a registered agent,
- Registered Agents are responsible for filing all kinds of documents of the organization. Your company must trust the registered agent you are hiring as they will handle all your company-related documents and sensitive information. Be it an LLC or a corporation; it is required to have an efficient registered agent who can represent your organization.
- You can also be your own registered agent by law, but it won’t be a wise decision to handle everything, including important documents, by yourself. Hiring a registered agent will always be a smart choice. Be it is formation or dissolution, having a professional who understands the law and other regulations.
- If you are hiring an LLC and corporation formation service, then you must know that trust is the key factor here. Many can have a fancy web portal or say big words, but it is up to you who to trust. All the private information, law, tax related documents will be shared with them. So, be careful while choosing a registered agent for your LLC or corporation in the US.
- We have shared a list of the best LLC services here. You can check and compare their service of process and the dishes they offer on their menu. Their privacy policies, refund, pricing, options, service of process, other formation services – compare everything to know which is best for you.
How to Change Registered Agent for LLC
Yes, it is possible to change your registered agent for the LLC in the meantime. For this, you need to submit an application with the Secretary of State along with a nominal fee that varies from one state to the other. Also, you need to submit a form signed by your new agent.
How to Become a Registered Agent
To become a registered agent, one should meet the state requirements. These includes that the person should be 18 or above years of age, should be a resident of the state within which the business operates and must sign the Consent form.
If you are wondering How to Become a Registered Agent, you’re not alone. Many new businesses and entrepreneurs list themselves as registered agents. While this is a great way to save money, the information is public. Anyone can search for your business through the secretary of state’s website. In addition to allowing others to view your information, you can also choose not to list yourself. To learn more about this role, read on.
To become a registered agent, you must be a resident of the state where the company is incorporated. Then you must be available to accept service of process during business hours. Remember, if no one accepts service of process, you could be in legal trouble. Without an agent, your company could be subject to a lawsuit, and without an agent, it might forfeit its right to defend itself. That’s why it’s important to hire a registered agent.
To become a registered agent, you will need to fill out a form that lists your contact information. You’ll also have to meet certain minimum requirements. If you’re self-employed, you will need to register as a legal entity in your state. You’ll also need to register as a business in different states. Once you’re registered, you’ll receive notices from the state’s secretary of state, court documents, and tax documents.
Being a registered agent is a great way to keep your work-life balance. It’s important to have an address in your state. After all, you’ll have to be available during business hours for the government to serve your process. A registered agent also has a personal assistant who is willing to answer your questions. If your business needs an agent, a designated agent can take care of the rest. A registered agent can help you focus on your business instead of juggling the daily duties of a business owner.
The most important thing to remember when looking into registering to become a registered agent is to know what you’re doing. The law requires that a registered agent have a physical address in the state they are registered in. The registered agent must be available at least during business hours. Registered agent services can be hired by the business owner, employee, or lawyer, but they’re not the ideal solution for every business.
Once you’ve registered with the state, you’ll need to fill out a form to change your registered agent. Most states require that the consent of the agent is notarized, but some don’t. Changing your agent for an existing business is as easy as filling out a “change of registered agent” form with the secretary of state. The form will include basic information about your business. In addition, some states require you to include a physical address if you’re changing your registered agent for an existing business.
Yes, you need a registered agent to form an LLC. Registered agents are responsible for handling all your filing documents.
A US resident who has a street address in the state you are forming your LLC in and is 18+ years old can be a registered agent. One has to submit the name and a physical street address of the registered agent in front of the Secretary of State while filing the Articles of Organization.
If you want to hire a registered agent in your state, check the best LLC services to find and compare the best-fitted registered agent for your LLC.
A few factors are to be considered.
-First, choose from the best LLC services available in the market.
-Check and compare their price and value. Is it worth paying them or not!
-Check their service of process. What is on their menu?
-Evaluate users’ review, privacy, refund policy, and other security measures.
Once you are sure, you can select the one for your LLC.
A Registered Agent is the most important person for an LLC. They are responsible for handling all your documents, filing, and other legal activities. It is mandatory to have a registered agent. In some cases, you can be your own registered agent. But, it is recommended that you get a professional person instead of doing things by yourself. Get the best Registered Agent available in the market according to your business needs.