Minnesota Registered Agent: If you wish to start a Minnesota LLC, you have to appoint a registered agent. According to Minnesota State Law, it is mandatory to have a Minnesota Registered Agent if you are conducting business in the state. A registered agent receives all the official and legal documents from the State. They also receive the service of process if there’s any lawsuit in concern.
In the following guide, we have shared all the required information regarding hiring a registered agent, why you need a registered agent in Minnesota, and who can be a registered agent for your LLC. Read this guide carefully before you hire a Minnesota Registered Agent.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is a Minnesota Registered Agent
- Cost of a Minnesota Registered Agent
- How to Change a Registered Agent in Minnesota
What is a Minnesota Registered Agent
A registered agent (or a statutory agent or a resident agent) in Minnesota is an individual or a business that represents your business in receiving official documents. These official papers include formation documents, business renewal documents, tax filing, and any legal document if the LLC gets sued by other companies. All these documents go straight to the registered agent’s official address in the state. While forming an LLC, it is mandatory to appoint a registered agent.
When you file the Minnesota LLC formation papers with the Secretary of State, LLCs have to mention their registered agent’s name and address. When you choose a registered agent in Minnesota, you can go for two options, hiring an in-house registered agent or outsourcing the service.
Hiring a Registered Agent in Minnesota
You may have several options for hiring a registered agent in Minnesota. To become a registered agent, one has to meet the basic eligibility criteria. If the minimum requirements are fulfilled, anyone residing in Minnesota can represent your LLC as your registered agent.
Who Can Be a Registered Agent
- The person must be above 18 years old.
- The person must have a legal and physical address in the state where the LLC will operate.
- The person must be physically present during normal working hours.
- Anyone who fulfills the above requirements can act as a registered agent.
- Recommended – You should use a professional registered agent in Minnesota always.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent
Yes, you can be your own registered agent. In fact, any member of the LLC, managers, and the owner can be a registered agent. Besides, someone from the owners’ family, such as a spouse, relatives, or other family members, can also act as a registered agent. As mentioned above, anyone who is representing the business as an agent should fulfill the basic criteria.
Why You Shouldn’t Be Your Own Registered Agent
Many small businesses do not hire a registered agent to save a chunk of money. However, it is not recommended to be your own registered agent. There are a bunch of problems one has to face while being a registered agent of his own LLC. Following are some of the issues you face,
- If you are operating your business from home or you are into web business, then your home address will be shared on the public portal. This address will be used for mailing and other official purposes. This will hamper your privacy.
- A registered agent has to be physically available at the official address during working hours on working days for 52 weeks. Being your own registered agent might restrict your other work due to this.
- The registered agent’s address must be up to date in the Secretary of State portal.
It is recommended to outsource the registered agent service to ease your work as it protects your privacy, especially if you conduct your business from home. It is always wise to outsource the RA service than be your own registered agent.
Recommended: You can get the best registered agent service at a reasonable price with online LLC service providers. We recommend using –
ZenBusiness – $99 Per Year
How to Choose a Registered Agent in Minnesota
You can choose a Minnesota Registered Agent in two ways, either you can employ an in-house RA or outsource the service. Another option is to be your own registered agent. However, it is recommended to outsource the service as it is less worrisome and hassle-free.
In-house Registered Agent
As far as the in-house registered agent is concerned, it can be anyone from the LLC, including you, or you can employ an individual for this position. In that case, your office or home address will be the Registered Agent’s office address. Every LLC has to share its principal office address, mailing address, and registered agent’s office address to the state public portal. Hiring a registered agent service will make it easier as you can use the RA’s address as a mailing address.
Outsourcing Registered Agent Service
You may also avail yourself of professional registered agent services. Doing so ensures that you will have the best service provider to represent your business. Following are the best Registered Agent services on our list that will provide you with registered agents to ease your worries.
Note that availing of the services of professional registered agents would be your best option since you are guaranteed that whoever is handling your legal affairs knows their stuff well. If you are forming your LLC from scratch, then with Northwest Registered Agent, you will get the full formation package, including 1-year FREE registered agent service.
What to Consider While Choosing a Minnesota Registered Agent
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a registered agent.
- Service Fee: Since most states require formal businesses to have registered agents, selecting the best-registered agent is critical. Hiring a registered agent typically costs between $99 and $300 annually. When you consider how much time it will save you, this is a small price to pay.
- Tenure in Business of Registered Agent: You want the registered agent to have established and time-tested procedures for handling documents. We recommend Registered Agent Services that have been in business for a long time. They are experienced and well capable of handling all your documentation.
- State Jurisdiction Limitation: If your company expands to another state, you should use the same registered agent in all states to reduce the administrative burden of dealing with multiple registered agent service providers. Check out the best Registered Agent Services to consider for this job.
- Offer Monitoring and Follow-up Services: You want to receive up-to-date information and alerts from your registered agent as soon as possible so that you are aware of the various statutes, rules, and regulations that apply to your company. Some of the service providers offer this service. Make sure to choose an RA service that includes this service.
How to Appoint a Registered Agent in Minnesota
At the time of submitting the Minnesota Articles of Organization, the registered agent can be appointed by the LLC. It can be done online or by mail. No additional fee is charged for appointing a Registered Agent. Only the state filing fee should be paid.
Appoint Registered Agent Online
To appoint a registered agent online, you have to go to the Minnesota LLC Online Filing page and provide the information of your Registered Agent accordingly.
Appoint Registered Agent By Mail
To appoint a registered agent in Minnesota by mail, you need to download the Minnesota LLC filing form (PDF). Fill up the “Registered Agent” section with appropriate details of the agent and submit it to the SOS office. For more information, read on Minnesota Articles of Organization.
Cost of a Minnesota Registered Agent
The cost of having a registered agent can be variable. It depends on whether you are employing an in-house registered agent, being your own agent, or outsourcing the service. The cost of having a registered agent can start from $99 and go up to $300 per year. It will be cost-effective if you outsource the registered agent service in Minnesota.
Registered Agent services that also provide LLC formation packages can provide the same service at a lower price. For example, Northwest Registered Agent offers standalone registered agent service at $125 per year, but if you buy their LLC formation package at $39 + state fees, you will get registered agent service free for 1 year.
How to Change a Registered Agent in Minnesota
To change the Minnesota registered agent, you must file a Change of registered agent or office by entity form. This form can be submitted to the Minnesota Secretary of State via mail, in person, or online.
For online filing, you need to get the online form which is available on the Minnesota Secretary of State portal. Fill in all the necessary information of LLC as well as current and old registered agents. This form must be completed and signed by the newly appointed registered agent and any authorized member of the LLC. The signature of the new registered agent acts like the consent to be appointed as one. Submit it online.
Fee: $55 (online & in-person), $35 (by mail)
File By Mail
You can also choose to file the form through the mail. You need to download the Change of registered agent or office by entity form from the Minnesota Secretary of State’s portal. Fill in all the details on your computer. The completed form is to be signed by the newly appointed registered agent. The duly signed form must be sent to the following address,
Mail to: Minnesota Secretary of State – Business Services
Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building
60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
St Paul, MN 55103
How to Pay: The filing amount is payable to the Minnesota secretary of state through a credit card when filing online/by email. For paper filing, you can choose to pay through money order or check.
Why Do LLCs in Minnesota Need a Registered Agent Service
There are several reasons why a business should appoint a registered agent in Minnesota. Some of the most important reasons are listed below,
- Confidentiality: Having a registered agent service in Minnesota ensures the complete privacy of your business and related documentation. Appointing a registered agent company instead of an individual gets you privacy and confidentiality contracts beforehand.
- Up-to-date Compliance: LLCs and corporates have plenty of paperwork and compliances that are to be updated on time. With a registered agent service, you don’t have to worry about those compliances, as your registered agent will maintain a compliance calendar.
- Privacy: It is mandatory for businesses in Minnesota to publicly upload their address to the Minnesota Secretary of State. If you are using the home address for your business, then it would not be safe to make your private address public. On the other side, appointing a registered agent service will cover you up here as they have to provide their address to the Minnesota SOS and not yours.
- Availability: Every registered agent has to be available during office hours of work on business days. If you hire a registered agent service, then they can be available at the required time without harming other tasks at the company.
- Online Safe Backup: Every registered agent in Minnesota or any other state usually takes online backup of all the documents and paperwork. This ensures the LLC papers are securely saved in a central system.
- Lawsuits or Summons: Getting summoned or involved in a lawsuit does not leave a good impression on the employees. With a registered agent, all the related papers will be delivered to the Registered Agent’s official address. Hence, owners do not have to receive any such papers in their office in front of their employees.
Minnesota Business Laws and Registered Agent
Registered agents are responsible for handling all the business laws and other legal issues related to Minnesota LLC. Every state has its own business laws. Minnesota is no exception. It has its own set of different business laws to follow. Here are some of the important business laws every business should follow.
Minnesota Deceptive Trade Practices Laws
The State of Minnesota aims to protect its residents from unfair business practices. Such practices mislead the consumers into investing in invaluable market products by selling them with twisted statements and lies such as false advertising. The laws specifically prohibit false advertising and odometer tampering. Any such tampering activity shall be considered a Gross misdemeanor, and compensation can be awarded in the form of actual damages, costs, and disbursements, attorney’s fees. The Court also has the discretion to award an amount for damages not to exceed three times active damages of $1500, whichever is greater.
Minnesota has adopted the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act. The State laws expressly prohibit the selling of goods or services below cost, misleading consumers about the quality of items, unfair cigarette sales, monopolization, and unreasonable restraint of trade by hatching conspiracy with other competing businesses. The remedies available to Plaintiff include Injunction, court costs, and attorney’s fees.
Minnesota Antitrust Laws
Antitrust laws regulate and prevent anti-competitive practices in any open market by levying heavy penalties and punishment against such activities. These laws counter the formation of cartels, monopolies, or any barrier created for new entrants in the market. The Minnesota Antitrust Law of 1971 prohibits practices involving unreasonable restraint of trade or commerce, monopolistic behavior, discriminatory actions, quantity fixing, price-fixing, etc. The time limit to enforce such claims is 4 years. The State also allows a successful attorney to recover the attorney’s fees.
The penalties in such cases include felonies, imprisonment of up to 7 years in prison, and/or a fine of up to $50,000.
The Registered Agents are the people who act as points of contact between your business and the State Authorities. They assist your business in ensuring compliance with all regulations and codes of the State. Hiring a registered agent in Minnesota will help you handle your business in a smooth and legally compliant manner.
How to Remove a Registered Agent for LLC in Minnesota
A registered agent for LLC in Minnesota can be removed by submitting a Notice of Change of Registered Office/Registered Agent with the Minnesota Secretary of State with a filing fee of $35 for mail filing and $55 for online or in-person filing.
Whether you are a new business owner or you already have a registered agent, the Minnesota Business & Liens Online Portal makes it easy to change your registered office. A change in the registered office of your Minnesota LLC requires filing a form with the Secretary of State and paying a small fee. There are two ways to change the registered office of your Minnesota LLC: online via the Portal or by mail. Regardless of which method you choose, the change must be made by the end of April.
If you’re not dissolving your business, you should appoint a new agent and re-file the form. You’ll have to pay a fee of $55 to replace your agent. The process should take a few days. You’ll need a signed statement and a credit card to pay the filing fee. If you’re not dissolving your business, make sure you choose a new agent as soon as possible.
The right Minnesota registered agent will be responsible with your personal data and keep your business in compliance with the Secretary of State. A bad agent will be careless with personal information and will charge you more than you originally agreed. The best registered agent in Minnesota is Northwest Registered Agent. They offer everything you need to stay in compliance, as well as the best customer service team in the industry. If you need to remove a registered agent from your Minnesota LLC, contact us today!
You can also change the Registered Agent if your LLC changes its name. Companies registered in Minnesota must have a physical address in the state. You must be able to meet them during business hours and ensure that they have a business address. If you want your name to remain anonymous, you can use a registered agent service. The fees are usually between $50 and $200 a year, and it’s worth the cost if you don’t want to deal with the headaches and hassle of paperwork.
Once you have changed the registered office address, you can change the registered agent by filing a Change of Registered Agent Form with the Minnesota Secretary of State. This form is available online, by mail, or in person. You can also choose to file online and have the information pre-populated into your account. You must pay a $20 fee if you file online. You can also file an amended form if your LLC is a limited liability company or a limited partnership.
You can also remove a Registered Agent for an LLC in Minnesota by following the instructions below. If you do not have a Minnesota address, you can list yourself or a friend’s address as the Registered Agent. However, you should be available to answer your business-related queries during business hours. A commercial Registered Agent is a better option because it offers more privacy and reliable setup. This way, you can be assured of the proper handling of your business’s legal documents.
All corporations and limited liability companies doing business in Minnesota are required by state law to appoint a Minnesota registered agent. Minnesota registered agents provide a reliable way for the Secretary of State and state courts to contact a corporation or LLC.
A registered agent is simply a person or entity appointed to accept service of process and official mail on your company’s behalf who lives in the state of service and is over 18.
If you intend to be your own registered agent, you may be forced to use your home address (especially if you run a home-based or web-based business), making the address public for mailing and other official purposes. This might harm your privacy. Hence, it is recommended to outsource the RA service. Also, if you outsource it to professionals, it will be hassle-free.
Before you choose a registered agent for your Minnesota LLC, compare their price and services from the table. They will be responsible for all your documentation, filings, and other LLC-related tasks. Hence, choose the best one for your business that provides 100% accurate service at a reasonable price.