If you already have an LLC in another state and want an LLC in Iowa, then starting an LLC would be somewhat different. You must register as a foreign LLC. We have here a guide on how you can qualify and register for a foreign LLC in Iowa.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- Forming an Iowa Foreign LLC
- Steps to Filing Iowa Foreign LLC Online
- Steps to Register for your Foreign LLC via Mail
- After Forming Iowa Foreign LLC
Forming an Iowa Foreign LLC
A foreign LLC does not need to be a company from another country but a business formed under the laws of another state. To start a foreign LLC in Iowa, you need to register it with the Iowa Secretary of State.
Step 1: Choose Iowa Foreign LLC Name
Obtain a name reservation certificate and submit it with your foreign qualification requirements at the Iowa Secretary of State. Your LLC’s legal name outside of Iowa will be listed on the application, along with the name it will use in Iowa. Take note of the requirements for naming your LLC.
Step 2: Select Iowa Foreign LLC Registered Agent
You’ll need a registered agent to form a foreign LLC in Iowa and take note that an Iowa registered agent must have a local address. Here are three of the best LLC services on our list that will provide you with registered agents to ease your worries:
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$39 + State Fees
$100 + State Fees
$0 + State Fees
Step 3: File Registration of Iowa Foreign LLC
Fill out and submit a Foreign LLC Application for Registration form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Secretary of State, Business Services Division, Lucas Building, 1st Floor, Des Moines, Iowa 50319.
Include the following:
- LLC’s full legal name.
- A fictitious name or a DBA (only if your LLC’s legal name is not available); Attach a statement of adoption of the fictitious name signed by all LLC members.
- LLC’s principal office and mailing addresses.
- LLC formation state and date.
- Registered agent’s name and address in Iowa.
- Date when your LLC will start operations in Iowa.
- Credit card information on the last page of the form for the $150 application fee.
The LLC cost in Iowa, even for foreign LLCs will differ between online filing and by mail.
Step 4: Determine How Your Iowa Foreign LLC is taxed
Foreign LLCs are also subjected to the Iowa Business Privilege Tax, and they must file LLC annual reports each year.
Note that forming a foreign LLC would be good for your business as you can legally operate in a different state thus reaching a larger market and opening more opportunities for higher profit.
Steps to Filing Iowa Foreign LLC Online
Time needed: 5 minutes.
A foreign LLC is a form of the regular LLC business structure originally registered in another state and wants to conduct its business in the State of Iowa. When you are registering for the foreign LLC in this particular State, you will have to submit your Application for Registration of foreign LLC with the Secretary of State which costs $100. After approval, you will receive a Verification Certificate from the State Office. We have explained the aspects you need to cover when you apply for Connecticut Foreign LLC.
Visit the Iowa State website to learn about the updated forms and fees requirements for an Iowa Foreign LLC.
- Visit the Fast Track Filing system offered by the Secretary of State of Iowa.
This system offers an easy method to file business entity documents, biennial reports, and UCCs.
- Sign-up or log in
Click on the “Sign-up” option if you have not created your account on the platform. If you already registered yourself on the platform, click on “log in”, provide your credentials, and log in to your account.
- Enter your personal information
After clicking on “sign-up”, the page will navigate you to the details page. Enter your information such as your name, address, country, email, and password, and click on “Sign-up”.
Proceed with the registration and business filings online on your account by filling out the Certificate of Formation form online. Enter all the important information.
Finally, make the online payment using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express Cards. Once done, you will receive a notification regarding the completion of filling your Iowa Foreign LLC.
It is convenient plus easy to file for the foreign LLC if you are doing it online. The steps are very easy and that’s why it’s possible to go along with the steps and form the foreign LLC in Iowa.
Steps to Register for your Foreign LLC via Mail
- Visit the website: Open the official Iowa Secretary of State website. After the page opens up, click on “Business Services” provided in the header section and then select “Business Entity Forms and Fees”
- After the “Business Entity Forms and Fees” page displays, scroll down and click on “Foreign Limited Liability Companies”.
- The next page displays the overall costs required in setting up a foreign LLC in Iowa. Select “Application for Certificate of Authority” on the page.
- Download the Form for Application for Certificate of Authority from the Official Secretary of State website. It can be filled out online and then printed or printed and then filled out in pen and mailed to the Iowa State Authorities.
- Read the instructions carefully and fill the form with required details such as the name of your LLC, date of formation, duration, street and mailing address of its principal office, details of registered agent, and signature.
- Make the check payable in the name of “Secretary of State”. The filing fees are $100.00.
- After you complete the application form, mail your application to the following address: Secretary of State, Business Services Division, Lucas Building, 1st floor, Des Moines, IA 50319.
After Forming Iowa Foreign LLC
Here are added things you need to accomplish after forming your Iowa Foreign LLC
- Obtain Business Licenses. Find the business licenses you’ll need using the Business License Search.
- File LLC annual reports and Business Privilege Tax.
- Pay State Taxes like sales tax; you’ll need an EIN for your LLC.
How Much Does It Cost to Register a Foreign LLC in Iowa
When starting a business in Iowa, the first step is to register a foreign limited liability company (LLC). You may need to file an Application for Certificate of Authority in order to legally operate in the state. It is essential that a foreign business entity qualify for the state’s requirements before it can register in Iowa. Failure to do so can result in penalties. This filing costs $100, but it is a one-time expense that you will not have to worry about again.
Once you’ve decided on a name for your LLC, you’ll need to register your foreign LLC with the Secretary of State. This process will also require you to pay a filing fee of $5. Once you have paid your registration fee, you can choose the registered agent and office location for your company. This person will be your primary contact with the Secretary of State. After the initial registration has been completed, you’ll need to get any permits you need to conduct business in Iowa.
If you are a corporation, you will need to pay a higher fee to register your foreign LLC. This fee will vary based on the type of company you’re registering. If you plan to operate in a foreign state, you should check to see if it requires any corporate tax. The registration fee is $100. If you are a small business, you can register your LLC online, in person, or by mail. Make sure you obtain all required permits before registering your foreign LLC.
If your LLC is formed under the laws of another state, it is referred to as a foreign LLC in Iowa.
Businesses incorporated outside of the state where they operate must have “foreign qualifications” issued in the other states.
A domestic LLC is a company registered in Iowa as an LLC. The entity type that has a physical presence in another state is a foreign LLC.