On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
Pennsylvania Registered Agent Requirements
There are certain requirements to fill the role of a Pennsylvania registered agent:
- The nominee must be more than 18 years old.
- The individual must have a legal, physical address in the state where the LLC will operate.
- The individual must be physically present during normal working hours.
How to Choose a Registered Agent?
When you file your Certification of Formation in Pennsylvania, you must nominate a registered agent. You can either appoint an in-house registered agent (yourself or any LLC member) or outsource a Pennsylvania registered agent service.
You can elect your registered agent online through the Pennsylvania Department of State website.
Hiring an Inhouse Registered Agent
When hiring an in-house registered agent, make sure the individual is over 18 of age and lives in Pennsylvania.
Can I be my own registered agent?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent. So long as you meet the basic requirements for a registered agent, then you can take on this role for your LLC.
Outsourcing a Registered Agent
You may, instead, get professional registered agent services. Doing so ensures that you will have the best individual to represent your business. Here are three of the best LLC services on our list that will provide you with registered agents to ease your worries.
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
Free LLC Setup
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
Note that availing of the services of professional registered agents would be your best option since you are guaranteed that whoever is handling your legal affairs knows their stuff well. You will enjoy peace of mind and focus only on running your business, as the ‘professionals’ take care of all legal matters.
What to Consider when Choosing a Registered Agent
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a registered agent.
- Service Fee: Since most states require formal businesses to have registered agents, selecting the best-registered agent is critical. Hiring a registered agent service typically costs between $50 and $300 annually. When you consider how much time it will save you, this is a small price to pay.
- Tenure in Business of Registered Agent: You want the registered agent to have established and time-tested procedures for handling documents that are received.
- State Jurisdiction Limitation: If your company expands to another state, you should use the same registered agent in all states to reduce the administrative burden of dealing with multiple registered agent service providers.
- Offer Monitoring and Follow-up Services: You want to receive up-to-date information and alerts from your registered agent as soon as possible so that you are aware of the various statutes, rules, and regulations that apply to your company.
How to Remove a Registered Agent for LLC in Pennsylvania
It can be overwhelming to change your registered agent for your Pennsylvania LLC. You’ll need to deal with a ton of paperwork and legal proceedings, but the process can be done easily and quickly. The easiest way to change the registered agent for your Pennsylvania LLC is to use one of the top registered agent services online. These services are highly recommended because of their speed and savings over LegalZoom. Once you’ve found the right one for your needs, you can start the process of changing your Registered Address.
In order to remove your registered agent, you’ll need to amend your operating agreement or articles of organization. It’s not difficult, and it’s important to do it as soon as possible. You can change the name of your company, change its registered agent, or even change the owners of your LLC. When you change your registered agent, remember to file a new document, and you’ll be good to go.
The registration process varies from state to state, but in general, it takes four to six weeks for an LLC to be created. You can expedite this process by requesting expedited processing. This option prioritizes your application, and even allows overnight delivery of your documents. You’ll need to indicate the industry of your LLC, but if you’re not sure which type of business it’s in, you can always opt for a different registered agent.
All corporations and limited liability companies doing business in Pennsylvania are required by state law to appoint a Pennsylvania registered agent. Pennsylvania registered agents provide a reliable way for the Department of State and state courts to contact a corporation or LLC.
A registered agent is simply a person or entity appointed to accept service of process and official mail on your company’s behalf who lives in the state of service and is over 18.
If you intend to be your own registered agent, you may be forced to use your home address (especially if you run a home-based or web-based business), making the address public.