If you already have an LLC in another state and want an LLC in PA, then starting an LLC would be somewhat different. You must register as a foreign LLC. We have here a guide on how you can qualify and register for a foreign LLC in Pennsylvania.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- Forming a Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
- After Forming Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
Forming a Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
A foreign LLC does not need to be a company from another country but a business formed under the laws of another state. To start a foreign LLC in Pennsylvania, you need to register it with the Pennsylvania Department of State.
Step 1: Choose Pennsylvania Foreign LLC Name
Obtain a name reservation certificate and submit it with your foreign qualification requirements at the Pennsylvania Department of State. Your LLC’s legal name outside of Pennsylvania will be listed on the application, along with the name it will use in Pennsylvania. Take note of the requirements for naming your LLC.
Step 2: Select Pennsylvania Foreign LLC Registered Agent
You’ll need a registered agent to form a foreign LLC in Pennsylvania and take note that a Pennsylvania registered agent must have a local address. Here are three of the best LLC services on our list that will provide you with registered agents to ease your worries:
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$39 + State Fees
$100 + State Fees
$0 + State Fees
Step 3: File Registration of Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
Fill out and submit a Foreign LLC Application for Registration form via email to RA-CORPS@pa.gov or by mail to Pennsylvania Department of State Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations P.O. Box 8722 Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722.
Include the following:
- LLC’s full legal name.
- A fictitious name or a DBA (only if your LLC’s legal name is not available); Attach a statement of adoption of the fictitious name signed by all LLC members.
- LLC’s principal office and mailing addresses.
- LLC formation state and date.
- Registered agent’s name and address in Pennsylvania.
- Date when your LLC will start operations in Pennsylvania.
- Credit card information on the last page of the form for the $150 application fee.
The LLC cost in Pennsylvania, even for foreign LLCs will differ between online filing and by mail.
Step 4: Determine How Your Pennsylvania Foreign LLC is taxed
Foreign LLCs are also subjected to the Pennsylvania Business Privilege Tax, and they must file LLC annual reports each year.
Note that forming a foreign LLC would be good for your business as you can legally operate in a different state thus reaching a larger market and opening more opportunities for higher profit.
Steps to Filing Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
To start your foreign business LLC in the State of Pennsylvania, you are required to submit the Foreign Registration Statement to the Pennsylvania Secretary of State office. The filing fee for registration is $250. After approval of your application, you will receive a certified copy of your registration from the Secretary of State’s office. We have explained the aspects you need to cover when applying for Pennsylvania Foreign LLC.
Steps to Register for Foreign LLC in Pennsylvania
- Download the Application Form PDF on your computer system.
- Read the instructions and guidelines attached to the form carefully prior to completing the form.
- Start to fill in the application form. Do not leave any mandatory field blank.
- The State mandates to attach the following documents along with the application form: One completed form DSCB: 15-134A (Docketing Statement) for Foreign Corporations; any necessary copy of form DSCB: 19-17.2 (Consent to Appropriation of Name) and any necessary governmental approvals.
- Issue a check of $250 as the filing fee is payable to the Department of State. The Check must contain a commercially pre-printed name and address.
- Arrange all the documents together and mail it to the following address, Pennsylvania Department of State Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations P.O. Box 8722 Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722.
The State does not offer online filing options for foreign business LLCs in the State of Pennsylvania.
After Forming Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
Here are added things you need to accomplish after forming your Pennsylvania Foreign LLC
- Obtain Business Licenses. Find the business licenses you’ll need using the Business License Search.
- File LLC annual reports and Business Privilege Tax.
- Pay State Taxes like sales tax; you’ll need an EIN for your LLC.
It is convenient plus easy to file for the foreign LLC if you are doing it online. The steps are very easy and that’s why it’s possible to go along with the steps and form the foreign LLC in Pennsylvania.
How Much Does It Cost to Register a Foreign LLC in Pennsylvania
To register a foreign LLC in Pennsylvania, you must file the Application for Registration of a Foreign Limited Liability Company. To file, you will pay a fee of $250. When you are filing online, the process takes around 25 business days. For in-person processing, it may take one to two days. Depending on the type of license you need, you may also need to pay a fee for a Docketing Statement.
When organizing a foreign LLC in Pennsylvania, it is important to have the name that is unique and does not create confusion among customers and other members of the public. The name of the LLC must end in “Company,” “Limited,” or “Limited Liability Company.” In addition, certain words are not allowed in an LLC name. For example, if your company has multiple sales offices, you must register each office under the same name.
A foreign LLC registered in Pennsylvania requires the filing of the Certificate of Annual Registration. If you have more than one location, you will also need to file the Foreign Registration Statement or DSCB 15-412. When setting up an LLC in Pennsylvania, it is essential to use original signatures on the paperwork. The owner of the LLC, authorized member, or manager must sign the document. Once the company is registered, it is required to pay a $70 filing fee to register its name and a registration fee of $125.
If your LLC is formed under the laws of another state, it is referred to as a foreign LLC in Pennsylvania.
Businesses incorporated outside of the state where they operate must have “foreign qualifications” issued in the other states.
A domestic LLC is a company registered in Pennsylvania as an LLC. The entity type that has a physical presence in another state is a foreign LLC.